Graphic question

Subject: Graphic question
From: Tammy VanBoening <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- netRegulus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:37:21 -0700

All,

I have a complicated situation and hope I can explain it accurately so that
I can get a answer from one of you graphics gurus out there.

I have an actual hard copy file (as in paper - remember that) ( 32 pages)
from a client. The client does not have the source file that this hard copy
was created from at all. It is not an option.

This hard copy file basically is the template for a Case Report Form that
the client wants to use in some of their clinical studies with our
StudyExpert system. ( A CRF is the standard data collection form used in
clinical studies). For this CRF to be used in our StudyExpert system, the
CRF must be in a .pdf format and then we have a nifty little wizard that
integrates the CRF .pdf into the StudyExpert system. The client can then use
the StudyExpert system to open the .pdf and do all the data manipulation
that they want on the form (adding, modifying, deleting data).

I scanned the CRF and saved it as a .pdf. I then pulled the .pdf into Adobe
Acrobat and created the necessary form fields for the form, with
requirements, default values, etc. (32 pages of them and this was LONG
process).

I am all happy and ready to give this to the client when they call me and
say "Whoops. The Case Number that is in the header portion of each form page
is not correct. Instead of 5777, it should be <blah>".

Ok, so I need to edit this but here's the rub. I have already saved the
whole freakin' form with all the fields properly set using the Adobe Form
Function. I tried opening the form in Adobe Acrobat and using the graphics
and the text tool to edit the Case Number, but since I scanned the form (the
only way I could get .pdf since I do not have the source files), this
doesn't work. The whole form is recognized as a single image. I can't grab
any part of it (other than the fields that I have added).

I will admit it - I am weak in graphics. How on earth do I edit this Case
Number? What tool do I use - What format do I open it in so that I can edit
it and save it back as a .pdf or??? I don't want to have to scan the form
again in some other form other than .pdf, edit the file and the rescan the
edited form in a.pdf format. That means I would have to reset the field
functions for each and every field on this 32 page form and I have already
wasted too much time on this effort as it is (/rant)

Any and all help is appreciated.

Tammy Van Boening
Senior Technical Writer
NetRegulus, Inc.
303-925-7721 (Direct)
303-925-7700 (Main)
303-662-9320 (Fax)
tammy -dot- vanboening -at- netregulus -dot- com
www.netregulus.com
Keep smiling - at least until you get your own way.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com