Re: HTML/Web design question

Subject: Re: HTML/Web design question
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:49:11 -0500

I just ran into this with some hand-coded pages on a server where I
didn't have the ability to use SSI (server-side includes)... so I figured
out a solution that seems to work, although any warnings/caveats from
those more experienced will be welcome.

I created a JavaScript file (called footer.js) that contained a series of
document.write statements to write, line-by-line, the footer I wanted.
Then each page in my site has a line at the right location that says
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"
src="./footer.js"></script> that drops the file right into my page.

The only drawback I can find is that it requires JavaScript to be enabled
in the viewing browser, but otherwise, it worked fine for my small,
internal project.

Hope this helps, and please, let me know if anyone knows of any
drawbacks...

Mike

On 02/13/2003 11:07 AM, Evan Martin (evan -dot- martin -at- garvin-allen -dot- com) wrote:

>I'm fairly inexperienced with web
>design, but I want to be able have my web pages display a footer that I can
>maintain in a single file. So when I change the text in the "footer" file,
>the footer will change on all of the pages that contain this footer.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com