Re: HTML/Web design question

Subject: Re: HTML/Web design question
From: jenny_berger -at- fairfieldresidential -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:26:24 -0600

If you're using Dreamweaver, you can use a Library file (.lbi) to
"include" a repeatable element like a footer in your web page. Of course,
this isn't a true "include" as it occurs on your desktop, not on your
server. When you upload a web page that uses a Library element, your
server will render the footer as if it's hard-coded into the page.
However, if you need to change the footer, you can make the change in the
Library file and the change will occur in all your pages that use it. The
downside to this is that you'd have to re-upload to your server all your
web pages.

I guess it depends on which end you want to include your footer (server or
desktop) based on what your server is capable of doing and how much time
you have to spend on updating.

Jenny Berger
Technical Writer
Information Systems
Fairfield Residential

Here's a web programming question. I'm fairly inexperienced with web
design, but I want to be able have my web pages display a footer that I
can
maintain in a single file. So when I change the text in the "footer"
file,
the footer will change on all of the pages that contain this footer.

I'm sure this is possible, but is it basic enough for me to do? I'm using
Dreamweaver.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com