RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.

Subject: RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.
From: Lisa Kemp <lnk -at- ontario -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:23:01 -0500

I agree with Tom.
You can teach your company's style, but you cannot teach core writing
competency. You can teach your tools and products, but you cannot teach
someone the critical thinking and core aptitude for fact finding that they
need for learning the technology and your company's products. If someone has
figured out how to teach the latter, I'd love to know your secret.
When I hire someone, my number one requirement is that the person is a quick
study. That skill, however, is very difficult to ascertain in an interview.