TOOLS: quiet keyboard

Subject: TOOLS: quiet keyboard
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kevinmcl -at- magma -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:47:40 -0500

Hey, all you folk who do a lot of typing...
Has anyone got a quiet keyboard that has a good feel for touchtyping,
but that doesn't make rattly noises with every keypress? What is it?
Where did you get it? How much?

I'm talking about a full-sized 101(+) key unit, with separate keypad, etc.

Googling didn't yield as much promise as I had hoped or expected,
though this thing (URL below) is somewhat interesting.

http://www.clitheroelancs.co.uk/review.htm

Right now, I've got a generic Acer thing at home, and some DELL-branded
thing at the office, and I've previously used various Keytonic efforts, as well
as one Microsoft "Natural" keyboard some years ago (it died within months).
All were serviceable, but all were relatively noisy -- especially in a quiet house,
late at night, when the wife is trying to sleep.

My usual solution is to close the door, but that eventually makes for stuffiness
and invokes loud complaints from the cat... regardless of which side of the
door she happens to be on... which, in turn, draws complaints from light sleepers.

Oh, and I need PS/2 connection to work with my KVM switch.

Suggestions, sources, reviews?

All the keyboards that I've had have had loose/wobbly keytops -- except one --
and I assume that this helps to let the keys be struck off-center or off-axis,
and still travel smoothly.... the one keyboad that I've used that did
not have the rattly looseness was also the most finicky w.r.t. precisely angled
keypstrokes.

A small sound is ok, and maybe useful, but what I really need for touch-typing
is tactile feedback. As long as I've got that, I think that a whispering or completely
mute keyboard would be fine to work with.
(Yes, I've tried padding the surface under the keyboard, to help deaden the
sound. The improvement was minimal.)

/kevin

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com