Re: TOOLS: quiet keyboard

Subject: Re: TOOLS: quiet keyboard
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kevinmcl -at- magma -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:43:47 -0500

On Sunday 16 February 2003 13:01, Jan Cohen wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Have you looked at the Microsoft Office
> keyboard? I use it and I'll swear by it. It's
> relatively quiet compared to most others, and
> has a number of useful additional keys. It's
> also sold by most computer stores, at a price
> of $40-60.00, USD.

Hmph! Y'know, as soon as you said that (and
a couple of folks made similar remarks privately), I realized
that I'd have to go back and take notes about specific
models that I've already tried in stores. Previously I'd
just been relying on my (faulty) memory to remind me
that "I've seen/stroked this one before". But now that
people are mentioning model names... :-)

Anyway, I don't care much about the "useful additional keys",
unless they're easily mappable in Linux.

Well, thanks for the input. I'll have to check if I've poked
one that called itself Microsoft Office Keyboard. I did
play with a couple of overdone MS keyboards (with all
sorts of "internet" and other buttons -- intended for the
AOL crowd, I'd guess), but I'm not persuaded that the
slight decrease in noise is worth the increased bucks.
Of course, one of the quietest ones was $100+ wireless
model.

But then, that rollable keyboard from
http://www.clitheroelancs.co.uk
is in that range, yet still strangely tantalizing... hmm.

/kevin (noisily)

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com