Re: Saving Websites to CD

Subject: Re: Saving Websites to CD
From: "Jan Cohen" <familyforever -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:10:30 -0500

Downloading an entire site while retaining its directory structure, then
saving it to CD is the easiest way to accomplish the task. One caveat
though: if the site uses absolute links to other pages, images, etc.,
you'll have to convert those links to relative links in order for the
content to be linked properly on a CD. Converting the links is easily done
though, which you can do by using a tool like Dreamweaver or Word to search
for and replace the absolute links with relative ones.

Example: To convert http://www.mysite.com/images/blah.jpg ,
http://www.mysite.com/contents.html , and
http://www.mysite.com/instructions.pdf from absolute links to relative
links, search for http://www.mysite.com and replace links containing that
text a period "." .

Now for your next question (indexing and searching): If you mean using
something like Windows Explorer to find files or text, that's relatively
easy. On the other hand, if you're talking about a search tool the user can
access via the CD, that's another issue and you'll have to be more explicit
to properly answer your question.

Jan Cohen