RE: Rules for being the only writer left standing.... (was: Educa tional areas to pursue)

Subject: RE: Rules for being the only writer left standing.... (was: Educa tional areas to pursue)
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:46:42 -0700

Good luck, Connie!

A couple years ago I watched our company gradually contract (but managed to
protect my tech pubs department) through a couple rounds of layoffs, but
when the entire US Engineering department was shut down...well you know
where this story is going.

It was my own adherence to the rules you suggested that kept me reasonably
afloat with contract work until I was able to find another FT job. In the
meantime, the rest of my team floundered, ran out their unemployment, and
generally had a much more difficult time of it. So, since you know the
writing's on the wall and likely creeping your way, take advantage of the
opportunity to build your network now, while you still have a safety net.

Moral of the story: the more skills you can bring to the table (whether
they're hard skills or soft skills), the better chance you have of
surviving.