Re: Gender neutral - any new developments in your neck of the woods?

Subject: Re: Gender neutral - any new developments in your neck of the woods?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:58:51 -0800

Paul DuBois wrote:

Perhaps. But when I recently got my new OED, I immmediately checked
and was immensely relieved to find that it does not have an entry
for "alot".

That's probably because the OED works from instances of usage in permanent records. I think that, for "alot" to be included in the OED, one of its readers would have to find an example in a professional publication in which it was clear that the word was not a misprint or a typo, but deliberately used. That's not likely to happen.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"It's a brittle charm, but the lady's had enough,
Still she wrote her number on your paper cuff,
It's hard to know when to start and when to stop,
Her pillow tallk is nothing more than talking shop."
- Elvis Costello, "The Deportee Club"

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com