Searching for text in graphics in PDFs

Subject: Searching for text in graphics in PDFs
From: bsimmons -at- juniper -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:42:35 -0700

Howdy, folks. I looked through the archive for an answer with no luck. For
some reason I had this idea that if I searched on a text string in a PDF,
and that text string was present in a graphic, the search would find the
string in the graphic.

Because of a bizarro FrameMaker printing problem with some of my graphics
in the format EPS with TIFF preview, I had at one time converted most of
my graphics to WMFs. I know I could search on a string in the final PDF
version of my docs, and find that string even in a graphic.

We've recently had someone go through our entire group's graphics to
redraw them with new standard icons and to ensure they are all in EPS with
TIFF preview format. Now I find that a PDF search does not find text
strings in the graphics. I've gone back to some archived docs and
discovered that the PDF search never finds text in the EPS graphics.

Finally, to my questions. Is the search-in-graphics capability a function
of the graphic format; if so, for which formats does it work (I remember
it working with TIFFs on Macs oh, so long ago)?

If it should work for EPS with TIFF preview, does anyone have an idea what
is controlling this feature? Something in how we are saving the graphics
(via FreeHand 9) or something in our Adobe settings?

We'll be sticking with our current format, but I sure did like being able
to find typos and search for callouts. It would be nice if I could make
this work with our format.

thanks for any help, bws

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com