Hearing (or seeing) what isn't there

Subject: Hearing (or seeing) what isn't there
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:45:52 -0500

I'd like to throw out a question.

How do you avoid injecting into your understanding of a software or hardware
something that isn't there. Some might say that this is related to the
discussion we had about knowing or not knowing enough to document something,
but it isn't the same. When this happens, the credibility of the content is

Example: We've been talking about Air Moving Devices and someone mentioned
something to the effect that he'd never seen a computer that had anything
other than a fan. In reading the original message, nothing was said about it
being a computer, but it might have been assumed that the product was a
computer because the company in question was IBM....though they do lots of
things that aren't computers.

So...how do you train yourself to not assume something without actually
knowing you are doing it?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com