When agencies don't help (Was: Bunch of Wiseacres, Aren't We? (Was: BAD Writing))

Subject: When agencies don't help (Was: Bunch of Wiseacres, Aren't We? (Was: BAD Writing))
From: "Craig Cardimon" <craig -dot- cardimon -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:20:51 -0500

Jeff wrote:

<<My advice is available through my website...

Check out
http://www.jewahe.net/techwriting/articles/techwriting/gettingstarted.htm>>

Very cool. Thanks, Jeff.

I noticed your first recommendation involves contacting local contracting
agencies. Others recommend that first, too, and go on to say that work gets
easier to find after you have completed a couple of projects.

Well, I have contacted the local agencies. My problem here, northeast of
Philadelphia, PA, is the agencies have been of almost no help at all.

First, since the recession hit, a couple have reorganized and the senior
account reps who knew the area have left. Then you wind up talking to a more
junior rep who asks you what technical writing is. Not good.

Second, some say they never or rarely receive any job orders for such a
thing. Also not good.

Except for a few valued mentors, I'm basically on my own. I'm thinking of
joining an association.

Sincerely,

Craig Cardimon
ProTechMed
Computer Programming, Technical Writing, and Medical/Scientific Writing
craig -dot- cardimon -at- att -dot- net
http://home.att.net/~craig.cardimon/

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com