Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents

Subject: Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:26:14 -0500

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

I often end up manually creating a master TOC for a set of documents, to guide the user through the stack of files I've created ...

I had a contract several years ago for GE Power Systems. They manufactured new and refurbished old power generation equipment (think in terms of equipment shipped on rail cars and filling buildings). Part of every contract was a set of installation, maintenance, and repair manuals (which customers never consulted, of course). These manual sets could run to bookshelf length. Assembling them consisted of digging out old vendor pubs, adding new vendor pubs, composing new GE pubs, adding old GE pubs, adding schematics, and on and on. The overall percentage of new documents tended to be quite small, and these were written by engineers, for the most part.

A _MAJOR_ part of the publication effort was creating a TOC. This was done entirely manually, and the TOC could run to 20 pp or more. I would say that creating and checking the TOC occupied better than half the time of the publications department.

Sometimes it's the only way.

Dick

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com