RE: 11X17 documentation

Subject: RE: 11X17 documentation
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:46:58 -0600

Hey John,

I agree with John Gilger on this one. When I worked for a couple of DOD
contractors, we did the same thing for our manuals printed in standard
8.5x11 that required larger diagrams. We also had to produce some manuals,
called DIODS manuals, that were all in 11x17.
And Samuel Choy talked about primitive, but we were even worse than his
company, when I first got there! We were also using WordPerfect and
AutoCAD, but we weren't even producing the 11x17 pages and manually
inserting them, such as he was. Instead, we were making placeholders for
those pages, with full header/footer information and captions for the
illustrations, and then printing out the illustrations, cutting them out
and pasting them by hand with tape on the pageholders, and then
photocopying those pages to make it LOOK like they were printed out
normally! I realized that there HAD to be a better way and began
researching it. I came up with a way for us to incorporate the AutoCAD
drawings directly into the files instead of the cut-and-paste job we were
doing.
Anyway, bottom line is that it's easier to do than it might seem and
there CAN be a real need for it. From what you've said before about some of
your flowcharts, I can see where you might need to do this with your
manuals. You can either do the "z-fold" as previously described or do the
GBC binding on the short side. We did both, depending on the document and
the other material besides the 11x17 sheets.

Sam

John wrote:

Yes.

On a D.O.E. project, our docs were large and contained a lot of maps and
charts on 11x17 pages as well as the regular letter size pages delivered in
both hard copy and pdf.

We printed the 11x17 in landscape, then made a Z-fold (two folds) in the
page to make the illustration a "fold out". They were bound in 3-ring
binders.

No sweat :)

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer