Creating Online Help with Multiple User Permissions

Subject: Creating Online Help with Multiple User Permissions
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:17:07 -0500

Hi Shannon (et al),

"I spoke with my developers who said that if I created separate help
systems they would perform the necessary work in the code so upon login
user would have access to the appropriate help. ...I would prefer to
create
one help file that would contain all of the necessary information.
"<snipped>

Actually, you may find it easier to create the separate and distinct
help files
for each application level. A couple of years ago, I was creating two
separate
help files for an online application. The System Administrator help
file needed
to be separate from the typical user help file, without much overlap of
content
at all.

If you create them separately, each help file will be complete for each
level of
the application and each user type. On the programming end, they can
plug in
each level to the appropriate help file. (I'm not a programmer, so
that's about
all I can say about that piece of the process.)

If your concern is fueled at all about using RoboHelp to build two
systems
instead of one, just think of it as user experience with the RH
application.
Building two files may even help you get acclimated that much faster.

YMMV, just an idea based on experience.

Regards,
Laura MacLemale
Writer
Paychex, Inc.
Rochester, NY, U.S.A.

The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or any employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you. Paychex, Inc.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com