RE: 10 things all tech writers should do - but different

Subject: RE: 10 things all tech writers should do - but different
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 09:21:07 -0800 (PST)

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:

> I was looking specifically for technical writers with specific domain
> knowledge. My point is that I own a tech writing consulting company, may need

> to put together a team with skills my team does not all have and, when
> looking at brief write ups of the tech writers, didn't get anything about the

> domain of knowledge people have.

Sharon, I'm curious if my resume is written such that you would be able to pick
out my domain knowledge, or if I should consider adding a section to my resume
next time I'm looking for a job to specifically call attention to them. Here is
an excerpt of sentences from my resume:

* Serving as key writer on the XSync project, the company?s flagship product
that provides change capture capabilities for mainframe databases.

* Served as lead writer using RoboHTML and Dreamweaver to create context-
sensitive HTML-based help for a Web-based medical scheduling application.

* Developed a JSP infrastructure to enable the creation of documentation that
is customized to serve different needs.

* Used FrameMaker to create a 145-page hard-copy tutorial for COOL:Plex, a
computer aided software engineering (CASE) tool.

* Developed Windows-based programs to compile a table of contents for a multi-
file WinHelp system, to check for broken links between HTML Help files, and
to add a navigation bar to the 6,000+ topics in our online help system.

* Used Word to create and maintain documentation for patient record-keeping
software (medical informatics).

I hope that this shows that I have written for people in the medical industry,
that I have in-depth knowledge of JavaServer Pages technology, that I am able
to code programs (the utility I wrote) and also explain how to write code (the
tutorial), and that I know a bit about mainframe databases.

What do you think of adding a section that specifically called out this
information, rather than requiring you to find it in the descriptions of what I
have done at previous employers?

-David Castro
email[at]davidcastro[dot]com
http://jsp.davidcastro.com