RE: 10 things all tech writers should do - but different

Subject: RE: 10 things all tech writers should do - but different
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:03:11 -0700

David wrote:

> I hope that this shows that I have written for people in the medical industry,
> that I have in-depth knowledge of JavaServer Pages technology, that I am able
> to code programs (the utility I wrote) and also explain how to write code (the
> tutorial), and that I know a bit about mainframe databases.
>
> What do you think of adding a section that specifically called out this
> information, rather than requiring you to find it in the descriptions of what I
> have done at previous employers?

Chiming in, I think you should include an overview or summary paragraph
that basically covers the first paragraph that I've quoted from your post
above.

People don't *read* resumes; they *skim* them. I missed a couple of those
points when I skimmed your list, whereas your summary paragraph really
showed me what you can do.

Don't make people hunt for this information!

Remember, the first person to see your resume is usually an HR drone,
whose comprehension of the job requirements may be fuzzy.

I think it would really help to lead off your resume with a summary of
your skills. Because quite frankly, the main thing I got from skimming
your list was your tool knowledge. Re-reading it, I see that all the facts
you mentioned ARE there, but maybe the fact that the tools are capitalized
and the skills are not makes the skills easy to miss. Interesting...

Keith Cronin
You say eschew. I say Gesundheit.

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com