Readability of Full vs. Left-Justified Text in Word 2002

Subject: Readability of Full vs. Left-Justified Text in Word 2002
From: Robert Whitaker <marcomguy42 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:11:12 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone have any data, articles, or opinions on
the readability of fully justified vs. left-justified
text in Word 2002? I write long technical proposals
for government contracts using MS Word 2002, and my
impression is that fully justified text as laid out by
Word is harder to read and comprehend than
left-justified (or ragged-right) text in such
contexts. I know that there have been previous
threads on this subject, but they seem to be from 1999
and before. I am also aware that DTP tools such as
FrameMaker are much better at proportional spacing
than Word.

My boss prefers fully justified text, but I'm sure he
does so because of aesthetics rather than readability.
The argument could be made, I suppose, that because
proposals are primarily marketing documents and are
intended to persuade and grab attention as well as
inform, the polished look of full justification is
important.

Thanks,
Robert Whitaker

http://tax.yahoo.com