Re: memberships

Subject: Re: memberships
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:30:28 -0800 (PST)

"ASUE Tekwrytr" wrote

> Is anyone on this list a student member of STC? Anyone have information on
> the attrition rate of new STC members? Specifically, how many new members
> actually stay in STC, and how many drop out after the first year? That is,
> how inflated is the membership "growth" by omitting figures on the number of
> student members who join for a year and then drop out?
>
> STC does not seem overly interested in providing this information, and I
> need it for a research study (purely academic)on trends in the tech writing
> field. Any help, ideas, or information will be appreciated, including your
> own experience with or without STC membership.

I have many reasons for disliking STC. But the main one is that STC encourages
(either overtly or by omission) writers to focus on communication and writing
issues at the expense of technical & scientific training. This is a bad thing
since technical writers are supposed to be technical people at some level.

Andrew Plato

http://tax.yahoo.com

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com