RE: Principles for proceedure writing

Subject: RE: Principles for proceedure writing
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:53:24 -0600

I regularly use a similar method, documenting the steps I'm taking through
the process, including warnings, tips, notes for getting out of mistakes,
etc., as appropriate to the document.

When I -know- that the UI is undergoing constant change, I'll go ahead and
document (as per Robert's method), but will hold off from taking the screen
captures until later in the development. Instead, I insert two lines of
caption:
line 1: describing the picture I want to insert (with any note about
callouts, highlights, etc.)
line 2: the caption that will remain in the text

This has proven useful for reviewers, who know what the UI is supposed to
look at/have it available to them, as well as minimized my re-work efforts -
while I may still have to rework the -text- seventeen times over the course
of the project, but only have to take screen shots twice/three times.