RE: Principles for proceedure writing

Subject: RE: Principles for proceedure writing
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:18:06 -0700

Obviously, personal preferences are everything in this, but I prefer to take
quick-and-dirty screencaps and insert them without any processing during
the development phase, then recapture and polish as things firm up. Very
seldom are the developers I work with the only reviewers (I work with products
that also get frequent scrubbings by EH&S and regulatory compliance folk),
and nondevs find it easier when the pics are there. And I regard every return
to the app for new screencaps as yet another opportunity to walk through the
procedures I'm writing to look for changes the developers may have forgotten
to let me know about.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 02:53 PM 4/7/2003 -0600, Lyn Worthen wrote:

When I -know- that the UI is undergoing constant change, I'll go ahead and
document (as per Robert's method), but will hold off from taking the screen
captures until later in the development. Instead, I insert two lines of
caption:
line 1: describing the picture I want to insert (with any note about
callouts, highlights, etc.)
line 2: the caption that will remain in the text

This has proven useful for reviewers, who know what the UI is supposed to
look at/have it available to them, as well as minimized my re-work efforts -
while I may still have to rework the -text- seventeen times over the course
of the project, but only have to take screen shots twice/three times.

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com