Re: Why? Here's Why!

Subject: Re: Why? Here's Why!
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:49:23 -0700

In my case I drifted into it. I was the annoying guy most techheads remember
who used to drag the grade curve up with 4.0's in the humanities classes.
Once out in the real world as an engineer, I discovered that in my particular
field even engineering was 80% writing (project proposals, plans, test procedures,
reports, etc.) and I ended up doing all the writing anyway. Perhaps it's because I
started as an engineer, but as a writer I find I'm still writing 80%, and spending 20%
as part of various product developer/test teams, either as an indivudual contributor or
as a manager. I don't think I've ever had a "typical day" as a writer, the work is a
lot more varied for me than my work as an engineer used to be, and that's probably
why I like it better than I liked being a design or test engineer. I think you do
have to have a somewhat thicker skin that an engineer, because everyone has their
own ideas about what a "good" document is, and there are few ways to objectively
test the way there are for things like rocket engine thrust. As far as companies
valuing writers, my experience is that it depends on what part documentation plays
in the company's success. Govt/defense contractors often live and die on their docs,
which are a set-in-stone component of contract deliverables, likewise pharmaceutical
companies, which don't get to sell a single dose without a mountain of FDA-mandated
paper. Companies that make their bread and butter on delivering "newer, faster, now"
often tend to brush all aspects of product support off as add-ons, including docs,
training and service, because as long as their customers' prime focus is on getting
the latest beta system up and running 8 months ahead of their competitors they can.
None of these is particularly good or bad, just different focuses for different industries,
and you live in the territory that comes with your choice of industry.

As for prospects, they seem to be all over the place these days, a good opportunity
here, none there. Unlike the past couple of decades, when you could point to regions
on a map as say "go there, young tech writer, that's where the work is," today's job
map looks more as if someone shot it with a scattergun. If I were just starting out today,
I think my inclination would be to try for a starting position as a non-writer (programmer,
engineer, lab tech, etc.) in some small company that has no writer, then impress my
employer with my writing abilities. But that's just my opinion, and it undoubtedly reflects
my own life path to where I am. YMMV.

Gene Kim-Eng
Writer/Engineer/Manager/Whatever

At 12:01 AM 4/4/2003 -0500, Sera Hill wrote:

But, at the same time, I'm curious to hear more about what it's all about
and what kinds of things people go through to get to where they are today.
What's a typical day like as a technical writer? Why do people want to be
technical writers anyways (aside from my comments above)? I've heard people
say they've just fallen into it or chosen it because of the job security.
Do you really have to have a thick skin? Is there some mythical company out
there who actually values technical writers, because I've noticed from the
postings that it's not exactly noticed. What's the industry like today?
What are the entry-level prospects? And so on and so forth. So that's why
I've joined the TechWR-L list, and that's why I sent out the introduction.

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com