RE: Skills Matrix

Subject: RE: Skills Matrix
From: Gordon Mclean <gordon -dot- mclean -at- mclarenkvisia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 23:36:14 +0100

Firstly, thanks to everyone who replied, it has given me a new perspective
on what I've been asked to do.

My own thoughts:
Dick I take on board your logical thoughts about how a skills matrix should
be used and I fully agree. However our company is not setup in that manner
so it isn't directly applicable for me (and having never worked in that type
of org I can't comment).

I have asked the following questions of the 'owner' of the skills matrix:
1. What is it's purpose?
2. How often will it be updated?
3. Will it be used in a 'black and white' manner rather than the current
process of asking me opinion (and using my knowledge of my staff,
unfortunately there is only the two of us now).

In my case it is that bracketed comment that is the most pertinent. It
matters not one jot which skills I am 'better' at than my colleague and vice
versa. We are currently trying to produce documentation for 6 product
releases and really need at least one other author to make this possible.

With that climate in mind, I am more than willing to believe, and take the
advice of "get it OUT asap without offending". However I am also aware that
this could come back to bite me, as my company is still maturing and still
needs convincing of the role TechPubs within the company (but that's a
different thread!).

So, thanks again for everyone's input. I hope it has been useful to others
as well.

Sincerely,

Gordon McLean

http://www.star.net.uk