Re: YOU are responsible, even when YOU are not to blame

Subject: Re: YOU are responsible, even when YOU are not to blame
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:26:20 -0400

>>Check my last paragraph. I said my happyhappy joyjoy company probably
>>doesn't fit all TWs. If you don't want to accept responsibility for the
>>content of your docs, don't. But if you don't have responsibility, who gets
>>the credit for super docs? If the credit never filters down to you I can
>>see why taking responsibility wouldn't be a great concern.

>>Here is a serious question: if you're not resonsible for your documents, who
>>is? This isn't a challenge or rhetorical question. Who is responsible?

>>I've worked for companies where everyone shirked responsibility because
>>little credit for good work came from it, but blame when things go wrong was
>>part and parcel of responsibility. Zero upside, big downside. That's the
>>sort of deal you avoid. The mantra was "Don't blame me." If you work for
>>such a CompanyFromHell, my regrets.

But you're still equating responsibility in the Blame/Credit equation. There are
also the nebulous ideas about responsibility really amounts to. I'm responsible
for my docs. If you point out an error I'll fix it and while it's still in my
hands I strive to do my utmost to get the latest and most accurate information
into them. That's really about as far as responsibility goes isn't it? Nothing
about errors, crappy output, blame, or lack of technical knowledge.

I'd forward the notion that a true professional that takes ownership and
responsibility for their documents is entitled to neither blame NOR credit for
the document. They deserve the blame or credit for the actions they took and how
they fulfilled their responsibilities and for their performance and productivity
within the environment they work.

Eric L. Dunn

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com