RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:31:11 -0400

>>So, I read that including hiring practices regarding smokers cheapens a thread
about
>>ethics. I'll try a different tack then.
>>
>>Is it ethical to spend company time and resources to read an email list?
>>Is it ethical to spend company time and resources to post to an email list?
>>Is it ethical to use company resources to file and pay your taxes online from
work?
>>Is it ethical to use your work computer to do your shopping online?

But ethics only comes into the equation if those activities are interferring
with your expected productivity and your hiding the cause/making up excuses.

Interestingly enough, smokers here when confronted about the time spent on
breaks complained that non-smkers took breaks too (talking, reading lists,
getting coffee, etc). The problem was that management correctly responded that
while non-smokers did participate in these time wasting activities, the smkers
participated in them to an equal degree AND took smoking breaks. :D

Now, there are some very ethical smokers who seem to take great pains to track
the time spent and work after hours to make up for lost time. Same as any time
wasting habit...

Eric L. Dunn

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com