RE: Creative Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Creative Technical Writing
From: "Schermerhorn, Robert" <roberts -at- chipdata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:34:58 -0500

Designs and plans are communication tools. The purpose of developing a
plan solid enough to be followed (and of course I don't mean blindly) is
to enable the coordination of efforts. Every member of a development
effort is following a plan (sometimes impromptu, sometimes formal), and
you know the quality of the plan you are following by the quality of the
project-oriented communication among the members.

Come to think of it, even if you are working completely alone on a
project you devised, chances are that if it's even somewhat complicated,
you are going to benefit greatly from formalizing your plans before you
begin.

I know this next thought is getting out of the practical realm, but I
think it is true - you can't pick up a pencil without a plan. The plan
(thought) precedes the action and enables all your parts to work
together toward a common goal. Communication at its "finest" :-)

Robert Schermerhorn

-

--- John Posada <john -at- tdandw -dot- com> wrote:
> The bad way to work a plan is to create the plan, then stick to that
plan
> without deviation, saying...sorry, it's not in the plan.

Well, a good plan is more like a good idea. You follow it when it makes
sense,
and deviate from it when that makes sense.

This is why reason is more important than process. With reason, you make
decisions based on fact and current events, not blind obedience to the
process.
Unfortunately, a lot of folks have a tough time with reason, and
therefore
resort to the "if its not in the plan, we don't do it" sort of thinking.

Andrew Plato

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com