Re: "found" TW humor (low)

Subject: Re: "found" TW humor (low)
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:33:18 -0400

As we are trying to analyse the authors intent with little to go on I'd say we
are treading on very thin ice.

>>2. There is no premise whatsoever for her metaphor *except* the word "bang".
>>That's my entire point. Only an interpretation of the word in that way allows
>>for the metaphor.

Was this interpretation meant by the author or read into the text by the reader?
I've included M-W's definitions below, but acceptable definitions of child are
descendent, product, and result. The 'love-child' reference may be an innocent
reference to the fact there was only one parent. Simple to see an absolutely
non-sexual interpretation. Therefor there is a possibility for more than one
interpretation.

>>3. I do not "enjoy" reading material that uses base sexual slang as the
>>premise for its misguided plays on language (unless I am aware of the possible
>>content beforehand).

I find it worrying that more often than not, those that complain the loudest
about sexual innuendo, slurs, or other insult often find fault where none was
intended. Often the complaints reveal more about the complainer's insecurities
and personality than the evil ways of the world or the particular
'transgressor'. Unfortunately in this case, unless more evidence of author's
intent is shown, I can only conclude that it is over reaction and over
sensitivity that is the cause of complaint in this case.

Eric L. Dunn

Main Entry: child
Pronunciation: 'chI(&)ld
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural chil·dren /'chil-dr&n, -d&rn/
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English cild; akin to Gothic kilthei womb,
and perhaps to Sanskrit jathara belly
Date: before 12th century
1 a : an unborn or recently born person b dialect : a female infant
2 a : a young person especially between infancy and youth b : a childlike or
childish person c : a person not yet of age
3 usually childe /'chI(&)ld/ archaic : a youth of noble birth
4 a : a son or daughter of human parents b : DESCENDANT
5 : one strongly influenced by another or by a place or state of affairs
6 : PRODUCT, RESULT <barbed wire... is truly a child of the plains -- W. P.
Webb>

Main Entry: love child
Function: noun
Date: 1805