Re: Why are companies now requiring techical writer candidates to be SMEs?

Subject: Re: Why are companies now requiring techical writer candidates to be SMEs?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:10:30 -0700

Job descriptions are wishlists, in which hiring managers describe the ideal,
perfect, "candidate of their dreams." How specific the description is depends
on other factors besides what someone really needs to do the job, for example
the size and quality of the candidate pool and how fast the manager needs to
fill the position. Assuming that the posting is for real and not one of the "nobody
but the person we know we want can fill this" things, one reason for the narrow
requirements may be that they know they're going to get hundreds of resumes,
many with *none* of their requirements, due to the state of the economy and they
may be hoping to discourage those and reduce the number of applicants to people
who have at least have some of them. Or they may be thinking that after having to
train new writers in their technology the past few years the pool of "hit the ground
running" candidates is large enough for them to get one. As for why they're treating
tech writers differently compared to other positions, my guess is that there's that
many more tech writers available to choose from compared to their other postings.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 12:05 AM 4/20/2003 -0700, Chuck Martin wrote:

Job posts I've seen for various types of programmers, QA folk, and so on,
seem to simply require industry-specific knowledge, such as specific
programming knowledge, certain platform knowledge, and so on. What I fail to
understand is: why the difference in treatment?

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com