Re: On PDFs

Subject: Re: On PDFs
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:55:49 -0700

Watson Laughton wrote:

> How was I to know that viewing a PDF file from IE was going
> to give me a lame-o version of Acrobat, even though I have
> the full version 5 installed?

As far as I know, it doesn't. I've upgraded from IE 5.5 to IE 6 on a machine that already had the full version of Acrobat 5 installed. When I view a PDF in IE, I have to wait for the full version of Acrobat 5 to open--not Reader (which would actually be a lot more convenient, most of the time).

> So now, prove me 100% wrong, and point me to a site that has
> a document with a fully linked TOC in PDF format

Two other respondents have already said they create fully linked PDFs--one using Word, another using Framemaker. I do the same, using Word (and an add-on tool for the index entries).

I can't point you to a URL, because they're proprietary, but I'd be glad to send you a sample off-list if you won't accept the word of three list-members.

> (unless there's another trick I'm missing, neither the
> Cannondale user manual NOR the Palm manual have any links in
> them, even from the TOC).

The fact that I don't own a Porsche doesn't mean they don't exist.

In fact, the FDA document you listed *does* have Acrobat's automatic "tree" TOC. The person who created it and the "printed" TOC (on page 3) simply failed to take advantage of Acrobat's hyperlink capability.

You have to create hyperlinks, make sure the conversion transfers them to the PDF, make sure the Bookmarks tab opens when the PDF opens, and so on.

As is so often the case, this problem lies in someone not knowing how to use the tools, rather than in the tools themselves.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com