FW: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?

Subject: FW: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?
From: "Barbara Yanez" <BarbaraYanez -at- cogentsystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:42:27 -0700

There was a TW here also, who is similar to Motel Boy. From a grammar
standpoint, he could write, but his writing was clumsy and awkward. He
discussed things that had no place in a manual, lecturing the users on
how to do their job, instead of how to use the software. One sentence
from one of his manuals that comes to mind is - in describing a piece of
fingerprint software, he states "Remember user: No two fingerprints are
alike." DUH! I am sure no fingerprint examiner would want to be
without that piece of advice. Indeed, I'll bet none of you out there
knew that as well.

Another fave from one of his manuals was a statement early in the doc -
I believe it was the last line of the intro section. It said, "If there
are any errors in this document, they will be corrected in the next
release."

IOW, "Hey man, this software was DUE. We needed some cash rollin' in. If
you find any errors, you're just gonna hafta CHILL till the next
release."

Luckily they saw the light and got rid of this guy early on.

He swore that his documentation had garnered an award at Xerox where he
claimed to have done contract work for 4 years. Later I found out that
he had a friend over there and I believe he got her to lie and say that
he had done docs for them.

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended for the addressees only. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly prohibited.

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com