RE: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?

Subject: RE: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?
From: "Diane Newbury" <dnewbury -at- execpc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:11:21 -0500

This one clearly struck a lot of people as being all too familiar! :-)

I think we've all worked with at least one Bozo Writer or
What-You-Do-Isn't-Important Manager.

As a contractor I make sure that I avoid all politics. As someone else
said - that's definitely one of the perks of freelancing. I actually had to
leave one place because the manager to whom I reported was trying to MAKE me
participate in the political games that he played. Told me to go watch
people and report back to him on what they said or did?!?! I tried to
gracefully duck this for awhile, but he grew more insistent until I felt my
reputation could be put in jeopardy -- at which point I found a graceful way
to terminate my contract early.

When confronted with a situation where the client is asking for something
with which I do not agree (with the exception noted above) -- I will try
once to persuade them to my viewpoint and then I will do it their way -- no
further arguments.

I also make sure that my work stands on its own. I don't clean up anyone
else's work, unless they're doing the same thing for me (i.e., trading
self-edit duties when there's no one else to do it, etc.).

Additionally, I keep copies of all of the written directions, edits, etc.
that I've received until well past all review cycles. I can't tell you the
number of times over the years that people have said "who told you to do
that?" and I was able to show them who. Can't tell you the number of times
that it ended up being the person asking the question. Of course, I again
strive to be gracious about it.... :-)

Have a good day all --
Diane (here in sunny, but nippy Wisconsin)
Newbury Consulting LLC

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com