Hanukkah came early this year

Subject: Hanukkah came early this year
From: DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:01:42 -0600

My boss is offering to buy me a new machine, with the understanding that we'll save money by not buying the latest and greatest -- which is fine by me.

My main question has to do with processor speed and RAM. I work primarily in Word, often with files over 1 MB -- ranging in size up to 6.5 MB. My secondary applications are Visio and Excel. I expect in the future to also get back to Dreamweaver and PaintShop Pro -- in the case of the latter only on graphics for manuals and Web sites, *not* huge files for brochures and such.

My instinct is to say, don't worry about the processor (Dell's cheapest is a Celeron at 2.0GHz), but I would like a full gig of RAM to keep Word happy. Any thoughts on this? Also, any thoughts on video cards, upgrade capabilities, etc.?

I also plan to ask for a CD-RW, which is my preferred method for daily backup. I am not worried about hard drive size, as 30 GB seems to be the smallest standard size and that's plenty for me. I am keeping the old Acer 77e 17" monitor, hoping that when it dies I can plead for a flat-panel.

TIA, and apologies to anyone annoyed by cross-posting.

Dan Goldstein

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com