RE: "technology isn't just for geeks" presentation - ideas?

Subject: RE: "technology isn't just for geeks" presentation - ideas?
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:48:42 -0600

Thanks for the many replies, ideas, comments, and suggestions for my
presentation. I spoke in two sessions this morning - the first one of the
day (only about 12-15 kids present) and again a little later (to a packed
room).

Since everyone there has already been focusing on their technical skills
(TestOut is a challenge program where high school seniors can take a variety
of professional technical certification tests for free), I targeted the
presentation to them as "potential geeks" and talked about both the
stereotypes that surround technical professionals as well as introducing
them to technical career opportunities in areas that aren't typically
considered when one decides to major in Computer Sciences (i.e., medical
technology, telecommunications, film/tv, etc.). I also included some of
your quotes in the presentation (under the category "From the Trenches"),
highlighting the reasons we got into technology, and the lessons we've
learned about how to be a real person and live in the real world - i.e., how
to avoid becoming another justification for the stereotypes.

The presentation was short (25 min), upbeat, and jammed with information. I
got a lot of positive feedback from the kids & teachers that attended the
sessions, and am very curious about what the newspaper reporter sitting in
the back was -actually- writing down (she had come into the first session
towards the end, then returned for the second session and sat in the back of
the room busily writing [taking notes?] the entire time).

thanks, again!

Lyn

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com