Using relative links in PDF

Subject: Using relative links in PDF
From: GEORGE Grider 901/360-4002 <ggrider -at- fedex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 16:29:32 -0500

TECHWRLers,

I've checked this topic in the TECHWRL archives, and hope I didn't miss
something.

Has anyone had luck using relative links in Acrobat 4.05 where the
parent and linked documents occupy different folders?

Most of what I find in the Adobe.acrobat.windows usegroup addresses
conversions of link-containing Word documents into PDF. No conversions
for me. I'm working strictly within Acrobat (v. 4.05a), and the
FrontPage Web site builder.

The PDF document in question, fixit.pdf, sits on my personal Web server.
Its full pathname: http://corp.com/docs/printers/fixit.pdf.

Fixit.pdf contains links to other PDF documents (example: gotfixed.pdf)
that are located in other directories. Example:
http://corp.com/docs/barcode/gotfixed.pdf. Use of an absolute URL would
work, as the Adobe people recommend that I use. Anyone can see it's a
poor solution, because fixit.pdf will soon be transfered to another
server or a CD, rendering the absolute URL incorrect.

According to some, a relative URL should work in Acrobat 4.05. (Example:
docs/barcode/gotfixed.pdf.) After coding in the relative URL, when I
open the parent document in my browser and click on the link, I find
that Acrobat (or something else?) has diabolically added the parent
document's absolute URL minus filename (http://corp.com/docs/printers)
to the relative URL. The result:
http://corp.com/docs/printers/docs/cads/barcode/gotfixed.pdf.

No such URL exists, and the browser sends out an error message.

I've tried working with Adobe's "pay per call" help desk, but they
haven't been able to come up with anything.

George Grider

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com