Re: Presenting oversize diagrams in printed documentation

Subject: Re: Presenting oversize diagrams in printed documentation
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:42:55 -0400

John,

I'd look into sending the complete diagrams to a PostScript plotter that can handle up to E-size drawings. This will require some scaling, but not so much as to render the diagrams unreadable. Use whatever standard paper size best fits each drawing (up to E). You may need to outsource the plotting work to an engineering firm or a service bureau if you don't have a plotter at B&N.

The plots can then be drilled (I assume these are going in a ring binder--leave a wide enough left margin) and z-folder or map-folded by any bindery to fit them into the 11 x 17 binder.

When you print the book, insert a colored slipsheet (labeled with the diagram number or title) where each of the folded diagrams will go. Then, when you get them back from the bindery, you can put them into the books quickly.

Dick

John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how they've done this effectively?
>Most of the diagrams are 11X17 landscape, 2 across and 4-6 down...in other
>words, 28 inches across, though a couple or 3 across.
>
>One way I'm considering is numbering the pages in a zigzag, 1, 2, 3 across,
>next row, 4, 5, 6 across, and putting them in as separate 11X17, another way
>is only taping the rows together so that they can be unfolded, but then ya
>loose the continuity when the process goes to the next row.
>
>OTOH, would it be OK to have a single foldout 2 across X 6 down?

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com