Re: Presenting oversize diagrams in printed documentation

Subject: Re: Presenting oversize diagrams in printed documentation
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 17:38:19 +0100

John,

From a personal point of view, I'd be happy to see two and three sheet fold 'outs', but when you get to four sheets or more, i.e. folds both down and out, I think I'd prefer them to be separate appendices. Printed separately and folded down in a document slot/wallet and the back of the whole package.
By the time a diagram gets that large, I suspect, I would want to be refering back to the textual instructions/descriptions fairly regularly, and this would be easier without the hinderance of a huge sheet of paper getting in the way. Yes, there is a possibility that some of the diagrams will get lost, but with a four or six sheet fold out there is a high likelihood of damage as well.

By the time you get to a 2x6 sheet size, you are way over the capacity of most desk tops and, like many of your other diagrams, they would probably be better viewed pinned on the (cube) wall.

Best regards,
Ant

John Posada wrote:

... some of the diagrams are rather large.

Most of the diagrams are 11X17 landscape, 2 across and 4-6 down...in other words, 28 inches across, though a couple or 3 across.

OTOH, would it be OK to have a single foldout 2 across X 6 down?
Comments

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com