Netscape-safe palette - a thing of the past?

Subject: Netscape-safe palette - a thing of the past?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:43:24 -0600

Back in 96-97, when I was teaching myself HTML and Web design, I dutifully
studied Lynda Weinman's authoritative views on colors, including the
dreaded 216-color palette we were taught was "safe" for the Web. Even then
I had difficulty grasping the importance/pertinence of this discipline,
although I did find the sites I built on my cheesy 256-color machine
sometimes looked weird on other people's more expensive computers. So I
learned to abide by that palette, to play it safe.

But as times (and computers) improved, I became puzzled once again. I'd do
screen-caps of photos I was viewing in Netscape, and open them in a
graphics program and do a color count - usually yielding thousands (or
millions) of colors - a little bit over the 216 mark. Obviously Netscape
can display more than 216 colors, so what's all the fuss about? I know
that there are difference between how Macs and PCs display color, but the
sites I've designed look fine on both. Some were designed adhering
carefully to that palette, while others were created with no regard for
it.

So - long query short - in this age of better, cheaper computers, is the
Netscape palette something we need to concern ourselves with anymore?

Thanks in advance,

Keith Cronin
not assisted by the fact that his eyes do not interpret color in the same
way, resulting in him winking at the screen a lot to check his designs
with each eye.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com