Re: Going from Word to Pagemaker ...and back ...or not

Subject: Re: Going from Word to Pagemaker ...and back ...or not
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:01:47 -0400

Howdy, Howdy! [yes, that is undoubtedly awfully old to you, but my brain is on autopilot tonight and I can't help myself]

Let's start at the beginning. PageMaker does not have proprietary fonts. Any font available to PageMaker is available to Word. However, that has nothing to do with your issue.

You can work in the program of preference and move copy seamlesslessly back and forth between Word and PageMaker. Here's how:

1. Set up a template in Word that uses EXACTLY the same style names as those used in the PageMaker documents. You can change the style names in either program to make them match. The important thing is that you make them match.

2. Use whatever fonts you want in defining the Word styles. Fonts are irrelevant in this process.

3. In Word, always use styles (avoid Normal) for every paragraph. The only manual overrides you should be applying are to make a word or phrase bold or italic. If you need to use small caps, it is best to put a marker in the text (maybe a string of four Xs before and a string of four Ys after or some such), and do the small caps conversion manually in PageMaker.

4. In PageMaker, place the text cursor in a story. (A story is a basic unit in PageMaker. A publication may have multiple stories, including separate stories for each figure legend, table caption, running head, footer, etc. But generally the main text of a chapter is a single story.)

5. File > Export > Text. In the dialog, check the Export Tags box (maybe--see note below). In the Save As Type dropdown, choose Rich Text Format (RTF). Save each story this way.

6. When you open the RTFs and attach your Word template, the paragraphs will be in the styles you set up. Edit as needed and save.

7. In PageMaker, use the File > Place command. Put the text cursor in the story you want to replace. In the Place dialog, select the Replacing Entire Story radio button. Check the Read Tags box (see note below).

That's about all there is to round-tripping between Word and PageMaker. Do the layout in PageMaker. Don't bother with it in Word, as it will not be retained.

If you have tables, work them in Word or Excel and save them as EPS files for placement as graphics in PageMaker.

NOTE: If you are careful about keeping style names identical, you do not need to export or read tags. If you have people who are untrainable, though, use the tags. These appear as bracketed labels in the exported text and they must be left intact for reimportation. They are plain text, however, and you can easily duplicate or change them in Word. In other words, there are two ways to do this--with tags or with styles--and you can use whichever method you prefer.

Dick

Howdy Davis wrote:

Hello creative problem-solvers (flattery'll get me everywhere),

I've become entrenched in a long-term project that involves updating and
re-writing a whole mess of hard copy manuals, most of which exist
electronicaly only in Pagemaker (PGM ver.6.5). All are in a
Pagemaker-proprietary font (now the "preferred" font). Now there is a
trend toward electronic-only delivery (PDF) of all user docs - another
philosophical can of worms entirely.

Anyway, the PGM to PDF part is no problem. However, everyone here --me
included-- works exclusively in MS Word (ver. 2002 SP-2) and I cannot do a
Word to PDF because of the font "preference" among other template issues.

I'm hoping there is someone among you with experience importing Word docs
into existing Pagemaker files, who might also be able to suggest efficient
methods, caveats, alternative job offers etc....

Direct replies, please, I'm set to NOMAIL.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com