RE: Portfolios

Subject: RE: Portfolios
From: "Diane Newbury" <dnewbury -at- execpc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:32:40 -0500

I have a 2" wide, three-ring binder (the most attractive version I could
find at Office Depot), filled with top-opening, heavy-duty sheet protectors.
Project excerpts are printed and slid into the sheet protectors -- this
makes them easily removed if the client wishes to flip through one of them.
I have a printed label attached to each protector pocket, listing document
type, audience, and tools used. I carry excerpts only, covering a variety of
projects. The book is organized by project type, tab separators for each
category (SOPs, user guides, training material, VBA automation projects,
publications, etc.). I bring this with me to each interview and make it
available for review while I am onsite. It is never treated as the focus of
our discussions -- it is merely an extra tool, if needed. I never leave it,
as nearly everything is client proprietary. (I have written permission to
use those items in my portfolio.)

Now, having said all of that, it has been my experience that the PRESENCE of
a portfolio is enough for most potential clients. Most do not even look at
the thing! In chatting with other writers in this area (US-Wisconsin) this
is a common experience for many of them -- the client wants to see that you
have a portfolio, but does not usually feel the need to look through it.

The initial set up of the portfolio took quite a bit of time, but at this
point I never spend more than 30-45 minutes updating before a client
interview. The exercise of putting the portfolio together and keeping it
updated is as much for me as it is for the potential clients -- it refreshes
my memory on what I've done, tools used, audience, etc. This helps me to
focus and prepare for each client interview.

HTH
Diane Newbury
Newbury Consulting LLC

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com