RE: [OT] Very OT, birthdays at work!

Subject: RE: [OT] Very OT, birthdays at work!
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:07:27 -0500

> When I started my new job, I took over an activity the previous
technical
> writer had started. She sent a questionnaire to employees on their
> birthday and made funny comments about some of their answers. My
problem
> is that next month, we get back to the first person who answered the
> questionnaire. I need a new idea.
>
> I do not want to let the tradition go as this person will come back
after
> her maternity leave and will be very disapointed if I "killed" the
> tradition of doing something on everyone's birthday. Moreover, it fits
> very well in our friendly work environment.

You could just come up with new questions or a new way of asking
questions. One thing I liked to do for an internal newsletter I did was
to ask them "quick fire" questions. The key to this is to have some
"filler" questions up front to get them rolling, and then you can slip
in some really good questions later on when their defenses are more
down. Word association questions are fun as well.

It sounds like a fun environment, and this is definitely something that
should continue. Things like this are worth their weight in gold for
moral, as well as helping the tech writing group maintain their
wonderful contacts in other groups.

Good luck!
Dan Glovier

applications, including Net.