RE: writer needs a pep talk

Subject: RE: writer needs a pep talk
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:27:14 -0500

Kevin sed:

> I've been writing docs for 8 years, and I've never been in this
situation
> before!
>
> Basically,
>
> - the project still has major feature changes/additions well after the
> proposed UI freeze date
> - there never was (n'or was there any hope of ever having) a plan for
the
> project.
> - the deadline is in two weeks
> - my SMEs are so busy making all these changes that I've been told
there
> really is no time for a review of my big User Guide
>
> Management seem to know my situation, I've been quite vocal about the
> whole
> thing. ie, you guys are gonna get a crappy user guide because you keep
> changing everything and can't review my work to make sure I understand
> what
> you're doing...
>
> I've always produced good stuff, well-written, well-indexed,
completely
> reviewed manuals. This time, however, it's gonna be a bit of a
washout.

> Anyone have any ideas of how I should approach my next two weeks? And
> then,
> how should I try to get this to work better next time?

Okay, I think we've all been there. More importantly, it really wasn't
all that bad. You get used to the twitches and heavy sweating after a
few days. :)

You didn't mention if there were specs. Based on the other issues you
have detailed, I'll guess there aren't any specs. But if they are, refer
to them.

One thing you'll have to do is figure out how much time you have for
this. How much you want to work is up to you. But once you have that
figured out, start planning out what you can do in the next two weeks.
Relay this new plan to your boss, get approval, and deliver what you
promise and then some.

If this entails not having a great index, so be it. If it entails
distributing a smaller, less detailed manual until a more complete one
can be produced, so be it. Let your customer(s) know that full
documentation will be coming shortly, but here's a little something to
hold them over.

You know your product and customers better than we do. Think of what
will work for them (not the perfect doc, mind you; an acceptable doc)
for the short term, and document that. The perfect doc is coming soon to
a desk near them!

In other words, make the best of the situation, stay positive, and folks
will remember that you were professional and helpful during a stressful
time.

You can do this. And I think you'll be surprised at how happy you'll be
with the results, considering the situation and all.

-Dan Glovier

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com