RE: getting info

Subject: RE: getting info
From: France Baril <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:06:26 -0400

I have had problems getting information when I worked for a company with very tight deadlines and somehow poorly organized. Developers had so much to do, they did not have time for questions. I had access to requirements and was actually invited to the meetings in which they defined them (I even got to define some of the new features). However, keeping up with changing specs was very hard and getting access to the latest versions for screenshots was nearly impossible.

I think the problem came from the fact that most managers came from a different industry and did not understand the whole development cycle.

I do not have this problem in my current job as documentation is viewed as a major part of the product. Our product does not have user interfaces for the most part, therefore if a feature or process is not documented it cannot be found at all. Moreover, without samples and guided tours, it is nearly impossible to understand what this product can do... Different needs, different support!

France

____________

OK, question time. Do many of you really have such a
hard time getting info from people? What's the
hang-up?

I'm being serious here. I've never had difficulty
getting info from people, and I certainly never had to
use a ploy to do so.

So what is the situation that you cannot get info from
people without going to elaborate lengths?

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

_