RE: The Best Job You've Ever Been Fired From

Subject: RE: The Best Job You've Ever Been Fired From
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:28:08 -0400

>> > "Have you been fired? Was it the best or worst thing
>> > that ever happened?"

Have I ever been fired? Twice. I've had my share of economic layoffs, too.

Worst experience of being fired? Didn't actually have a bad one. Both were pretty good.

In the first case, I wanted to get out of the advertising business so I could do anti-war community organizing, and I figured I needed unemployment benefits to live on, so I consciously provoked a firing by refusing to rewrite a headline on an ad. My boss called me into his office in the morning. He was white as a sheet and visibly shaking. Clearly he had not slept. He asked me to close the door. I nonchalantly pulled up a chair, struck a casual pose, and said, "Relax, Roger. It'll be okay," before he got to the subject at hand. The owner of the small agency (I had only been there a few months) was completely cool with my strategy, because he was already paying the maximum UI premiums. He gave me his best wishes, and I was off. Roger recovered.

In the second instance, I was a contract TW in Texas. When I pointed out that the agency was supposed to have paid me time and a half for the overtime I had put in over the preceding 14 months, they paid me but then decided they really didn't need me any more. However, I already had a gig lined up for a week hence in Rochester NY and needed that long to get there. So the "firing" was pretty painless in that case, too. That 14 months was the longest five years of my life, and I was more than happy to skedaddle.

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com