RE: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)

Subject: RE: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:09:05 -0700

My first response to this question was the Logic class I took freshman year of college. In learning symbolic logic, I honed my sense of the precision of language. I still notice the contradiction in comments like one I used to hear from Amtrak conductors, "At the next station, all doors will not open." And knowing logic was influential in my getting my current job.

My second thought was the typing class I took in 10th grade. I didn't like it much at the time, especially getting my fingers stuck between the keys of those old klunky manual Underwoods, but I've never regretted it.

And my list would not be complete without acknowledging the 3 P's, my English teachers in junior high school: Mrs. Pace, Mrs. Porter, and Mrs. Pfetsch (whose name I still remember how to spell). I learned more about English grammar from them than anywhere since then.

Most of the rest of what I consider the key tools of my trade, I learned on the job over the years.

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
--Albert Einstein

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com