Re: Learn a new language

Subject: Re: Learn a new language
From: michelle -at- yaskawa -dot- co -dot- jp
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:33:31 +0900

Wow, Anastasia's comments certainly struck home to me, another
"professional foreigner". I think about these issues every day but never in
the context of learning another language.

I definitely agree with her that if you are the "minority", learning the
local language and customs is a definite courtesy and should be encouraged.
Easy example, being the sensitive tourist. The guys I work with in Japan
LOVE it when others use bits and pieces of Japanese like Smith-san instead
of Mr. or Ms. They sit and chuckle over their e-mails when that happens.

And from personal experience Anastasia's 2nd example is very important,
however controversial -- especially in a work situation where everybody
should be treated professionally.
'2. You are part of the "majority", and the "foreigners" are a minority
within your native environment.'

One of old classmates from juniour high school mailed me the other day and
said that she had always respected me because I spoke English with her as
an equal and not as a recent immigrant. (She was a Mennonite from Mexico
and was probably already bilingual or trilingual with Spanish, low German,
and probably high German. Probably many other people spoke low German with
her.)

now i am in the reverse situation and can understand her sentiments VERY
well. (Ok, Japan may be unique and a bit extreme in its dealings with the
ENglish language, but nonetheless...)

This is actually a recent peeve of mine and I blew up at someone the other
day about this. Many people will speak English to me regardless of their
ability in ENglish or mine in ENglish. That mindset is so engrained that
you can reply fluently in the local lingo and they won't even realize it!
When kindness is intended, the other person will usually switch to the
local lingo in relief when they realize that I can understand or we mix up
the languages because some words have different connotations that are more
suitable and so on. The ones who insist on speaking ENglish out of
"kindness" are usually doing it because a) they believe the stereotype that
only Japanese people can speak Japanese; b) they want to show off in front
of their friends; c) they want free language lessons. They are not doing it
for my sake.

Especially at work, if a colleague is proficient in the local lingo,
insisting on speaking "his" language can be very disrespectful of the
person's abilities. From a professional foreigner's standpoint, deal with
the individual and not the nationality.

If you are already have an established relationship with your colleague,
please get the colleague to teach you some words. (I know this sounds like
the opposite of what I was just saying but bear with me) Then, it becomes
something that you share, like an "in joke".

Making a fool of yourself is fine and great fun, but be careful not to make
a fool of the other person. If you show respect and courtesy (like I'm sure
everybody here would naturally), I am sure learning about another person's
language or culture will help an any working relationship.

Michelle,
who wonders if she should run and duck now

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com