Re: New Age Doc Group Names

Subject: Re: New Age Doc Group Names
From: "Brian Das" <brian_das -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:08:50 -0400

Sean wrote: I mean, I know you say that you are trying to "align fully with
[your] new mission as user-oriented" but how does changing your department's
name accomplish that?

To a certain extent, I must agree. It reminds me of thatDilbert cartoon,
where someone describes a proposal he's working on -- to change the name of
the engineering department to "e-engineering". Then he says he's working on
a similar project for marketing, but it's not done yet.

However, I think a name change for a department can be valuable if it
follows or coincides with substantial change to the department (and I think
the original post suggested it does). Otherwise, it's just the "great new
look" on the same old candy bar.

What you want the name to convey -- professionalism or enlightenment?
paper-pushing or spoon-bending? -- is another decision all together.

(By the way, in some cases I think it could be ok to convey spoon-bending.
After al, at some companies, the writing process is pretty much that
mysterious, so why not run with it?)

Cheers,
Brian.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com