Re: I had hoped to get more of a response - Re: Managing versions of documents - problems and concerns

Subject: Re: I had hoped to get more of a response - Re: Managing versions of documents - problems and concerns
From: "Brian Das" <brian_das -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:54:35 -0400

Bill D wrote: "After spending a few hundred thousand dollars for your EDMS:
1. State your document management objectives. You have listed these as
Issues 1 through 7.
2. Put these objectives into the form of step-by-step procedures.
3. Implement your procedures using the EDMS workflow package.
4. Test each procedure to make sure it works the way you want it to.
5. Be sure someone is available to maintain the EDMS!"

I would do things in a slightly different order. I suggest designing and (to
the extent you can ) implementing your procedures BEFORE spending a few
hundred large ones on an EDMS! Once you have workable and valuable
procedures in place, find a document management system that supports and
automates those procedures.

Who knows, maybe you're working with such a huge volume of work that you'll
require a big enterprise software investment. If that's not the case, I
recommend you start small and smart, with some of the tips and tricks other
posters have provided.

Cheers,
Brian

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com