Re: indexers--embedded indexing

Subject: Re: indexers--embedded indexing
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:02:59 -0700 (PDT)

Well, to briefly play devil's advocate (I am
downstream on this, my advice was the same as yours
and so I was given this response), I am told that
indexers dislike embedded indexing because if a
paragraph spans two pages, you don't get a page range
in your index.

That's it.

My response was that unless a paragraph spanned more
than two pages (ours are shorter, 3+ paragraphs per
page), I'd prefer to start reading at the beginning of
the paragraph anyway and a page range in the index did
me no good. But that's just me. Besides, even if it is
more usable to give a range for a paragraph that spans
a page break, I'd yield that for the function provided
by embedded markers.

Cheers,

Sean
--- Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de> wrote:

> > By not providing an embedded index, the idea is
> that
> > the indexers will provide only the finished,
> manual
> > index in Word or something.

<snip>
> Whether other people move away from embedded
> indexing (my impression is
> that the opposite is true) seems immaterial: You'll
> want to do what is
> best for you. Unless the indexers can give you clear
> advantages of not
> imbedding index markers, I'd demand that they embed
> them. (If they can
> give you such advantages, I'd love to hear them,
> since I cannot imagine
> what they might be.)

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com