Re: indexers--embedded indexing

Subject: Re: indexers--embedded indexing
From: Ian Hawkins <ihawkins -at- sundorne -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:03:42 -0600

The Index-L list (http://www.indexpup.com/index-list/) just had a discussion about embedded indexing. Many of the professional indexers don't like it because they can be more productive using dedicated indexing programs instead. I think they were estimating it would take 50% longer to create an embedded index.

Many of the indexers contributing to the discussion do embedded indexing, and would love a better way to accomplish it.

Embedded indexing has its advantages, though. As you noted, it's necessary for conversion to online help. It is also easier for content that is going to be revised often, like a software manual.

It's really your call, or your company's call. Is it worth it to pay 50% more to have an embedded index? In your case, I bet it probably is. And I bet you can find an indexer willing to do the job.

Ian

Sean Brierley wrote:

Am on the periphery of a curious thing.

We use indexers. We are told that nobody does embedded
indexing any more.

True??

--

Ian Hawkins
Sundorne Communications

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com