RE: Portfolios

Subject: RE: Portfolios
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:29:38 -0500

Suzanne,

Sorry to hear of your "new opportunity". FWIW, here is my opinion:

1. "I have selected the documents/help projects I want to use, as they
reflect the range of my
writing experience."

An excellent start!!

2. "How long should the samples be?"

Hard to judge - I'd strongly suggest that you trust your own judgement, it's
probably a lot better than you believe. I always take a lot more than I
expect to show. This way, as the interview evolves into new areas, I
(usually) have at least one sample piece of work to show. I rarely (if ever)
get through the entire portfolio (nor do I plan on it).

3. "How much paper does a hiring manager feel is enough to get a feel for
the skills of the writer
without providing more than is desired?"

Again, it is not the amount you bring with you, it is the amount you show
them. I tell the interviewer that I will show them types of samples based on
the conversation, but if they would like to see more, to please ask.

Presentation is as important as quantity. Go to an arts supply store (or
online with a company like Dick Blick) and get a portfolio. Not one of the
large portfolios that interior designers and architects use, but a smaller
one. For example,
www.dickblick.com/zz150/06/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=661

(BTW, I have NO affiliation with Dick Blick other than being a customer)

Arrange your samples according to "type" (online help, User Guides,
Technical Spec Docs, etc.), and then practice opening to each section. Know
exactly where in the portfolio to find each sample, so that you can quickly
flip to it. This saves the embarassing time lag as you flip through your
portfolio looking for stuff, or having pieces fall out, and so on. If you
really know your portfolio, you can get to he point where you flip to a
section or sample without looking (or place a small label on the back, so
that you can tell what you have flipped to without having to look at the
sample itself.

You can even get filler pages to hold a CD or two, and bring those.

Basically, have enough to cover the possible scenarios that you could
encounter, have it all neatly organized in a portfolio, and learn where each
sample is.

Good luck!

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - p
Technical Writer | 866.741.2677 - f
Datalogics, inc. | www.datalogics.com

"One out of every three Americans is suffering from some form of
mental illness. Think of two of your best friends. If they
are OK, then it must be you."
- unknown

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com